Nature Photography, from Sea Lions to Hummingbirds. Freelance assignments, event photography in the South Bay Area .

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's About Time!

This blog has been languishing for quite some time, while I've been busy with my Nikon D300, and even busier volunteering with the Marine Mammal Center's Monterey Bay Operations rescue team. So I'm thinking that I will be writing probably more about the rescues than the photography. I love working with sea lions, ellies (elephant seal pups) and harbor seals. Rewarding and heart-breaking work. TMMC has rescued over 1300 marine mammals so far this year, from our three sites: Marin Headlands, San Luis Obispo and Monterey Bay in Moss Landing, where I volunteer.


Me helping rescue a sick 500-pound sea lion from a Santa Cruz Beach

Seeing hundreds of starving juvenile sea lions is heart-breaking. Being able to rescue and save some of them is rewarding. For me, it has meant 12 to 17 hour shifts on my days: Mondays and Fridays. It has meant seeing first-hand how sick and polluted our beautiful and majestic ocean has become due to human pollution and trash. If each one of us would stop using and discarding plastic bags, it would make a difference. If each one of us would pick up a bag of garbage each time we went to the beach it would make a difference. If each one of us would stop throwing our trash into the ocean when we are on our boats, it would make a difference. The difference between life and death for the marine mammals and birds who call the ocean their home.