Nature Photography, from Sea Lions to Hummingbirds. Freelance assignments, event photography in the South Bay Area .

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ellie Day

Yesterday was an ellie day for us at MBO. We responded to calls about an elephant seal on the beach in Capitola. This animal decided to haul out in the middle of what is usually the beach volleyball court. He (maybe she) lifted his head and snarled as we approached, but was very lethargic. It looked a little thin, and had gummy eyes, which usually indicates dehydration. It showed signs of catastrophic molting, and it also had large, pink, bumpy spots all over its body. Breathing was not normal, very rapid and shallow. It was clear that we needed to pick it up.

We walked back across the beach, climbed over a low restraining wall and went up the stairs to get our gear. Came back and got him in the container pretty easily. Then we lifted the crate - whoah - he weighed more than we thought! We decided to make two trips, so we left the net and herding boards on the beach, and began to carry it to the truck. He became pretty active inside the crate and we grunted and lugged him across the beach, over the wall and started up the stairs. Two gals were on the back, and another gal and I were on the front.  We were struggling, pushing and pulling, and lifting. Suddenly, right at my legs and feet, the damn door came open and he started to come out! We couldn't let go and let him fall back down the stairs, and we didn't have our boards anyway. I had on my tall, heavy Muck boots, so I stuck my foot in front of his face while I tried to get the door closed with one hand, holding on to the crate with the other. He opened his mouth and clamped down on my foot!

I knew he didn't have sharp enough teeth to bite thru my boot, but it felt like I had a vice clamping down on my foot. I just let him chew around on my boot till we could safely set the crate down and get the door closed. I didn't want to hurt his mouth or teeth by jerking my foot away. He gnawed away on my boot while we regrouped. He let go and we got the door shut, with great difficulty. Turns out that the latch was defective. What a way to find that out!
So we got him into the truck, and a bystander named him Baby Bubba. Took BB back to the facility, gave him electrolytes and he snoozed away in safety.

Then we got another call about an ellie on the beach near Bird Rock off 17-mile drive. We headed down there and found a another big ole ellie who was near the rocks in a somewhat secluded location. He looked very fit and healthy, and not an animal that needed to be picked up. We will put this guy on watch, and I hope crews from the other days will check it out. and make sure it does not get harassed by people and dogs.



(This is a mirror post of my www.sealiongal.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment